1. My name is Gretchen, not Greta! Greta is a nickname my cousin uses to tease me! I’m an INFJ, an Enneagram Type 3, and a Pisces—so I’m basically a creative, sensitive, and introverted idealist. Haha!
2. I belong to a very tight-knit family, and part of that family is my super spoiled Shih Tzu, Booboo, and his best friend, Bellatrix, a Persian Doll Face named after Bellatrix Lestrange. You can follow their Instagram @boobooandbellatrix or check out the hashtag #FraggyFour to see what it’s like living with a dog and cat as best friends!
3. Greta’s Junkyard all started when one of my best friends and the artist behind the little kid inside the trash can, KChan, introduced me to the wonderful world of Tumblr in 2009—which then served as literally a dump site of all my thoughts and feelings. After contributing to several publications like CollegeFashionista.com and WhenInManila.com, I decided to focus on my own, and expanded Greta’s Junkyard in 2013 (with the help of the sweetest Cupcake on earth) to a blog that focuses on my favorite things—mostly beauty, travel, and lifestyle.
4. I was a softball player from grade school up until college (I played for the Poveda Varsity Team, the International Little League Association of Manila, and in the University Athletics Association of the Philippines), and a competitive Ultimate Frisbee player from high school until college. I still play Ultimate for fun—when my asthma, allergic rhinitis, and scoliosis aren’t bothering me. When I’m not playing, I love biking or going for a good run.
5. When I was younger, I was forced to take up piano lessons—something I did my whole grade school life. I didn’t quite enjoy it back then, but I sure am thankful for it now! I also play guitar, and was once part of a punk rock band. Way back when I had no interest in makeup and all I wanted to do was dress up in baggy clothes. Did I mention that I’m a huge WWE fan, too? My favorite wrestlers are Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Hardy Boyz, Randy Orton, Seth Rollins, and Sasha Banks.
6. Before the Cupcake and I got together on December 13, 2013, we were teammates in Ultimate Frisbee for a few years and were really close! 13 is a special number for us because it was his jersey number in basketball and my jersey number in softball. We eventually fought over who was going to get it when we became teammates in Ultimate. If you’re on Instagram, catch our adventures together by searching #TeamCatch13.
We finally tied the knot last September 13, 2019 (also a Friday the 13th!)—you can read more about our very memorable and meaningful wedding here.
7. When I’m not writing in the wee hours of the morning, I work as the Managing Director of WeaveWorks (a content marketing agency), Editor-in-Chief of Calyxta.com (an online beauty magazine and shop), and help with the development and marketing of my mom’s backyard business, Mama Jessie’s Kesong Puti. I’m a makeup artist as well—you can check out my portfolio here.
8. I studied in Saint Pedro Poveda College from kindergarten all the way until high school, before acquiring a scholarship and taking up Creative Writing at the University of the Philippines Diliman. After two years, I transferred and finished my studies at the Ateneo de Manila University. I also took up a certificate course in Fashion Makeup at Fashion Institute of the Philippines, and finished a diploma course in Marketing at the Ateneo Graduate School of Business.
9. I love Harry Potter, but only because I ship Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger. This means I read a lot of Dramione fanfiction! I have yet to finish writing a full (original) novel but until then, I secretly write short stories to fulfill the dark and broody fictionist in me.
10. I love travelling, and I really hope to see more of the world! I’ve been to Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan, the United States, Canada, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Korea. Locally, I’ve visited dozens of our country’s most beautiful places including Boracay, Cebu, Palawan, and Bohol. You can find more of my adventures on Instagram when you search the hashtag #GretasJunkyardAdventures.
Blogging is a way for me to do what I love most, which is to write. It allows me to document my many adventures and experiences, share with the world my opinions and random thoughts, and meet fellow beauty junkies, adventurers, WWE Fans, Potterheads, and Dramione Shippers!
Need to dump an inquiry? You can contact me by clicking here!